Saturday, July 16, 2011

Book Review: Lady Godiva Hair: Extreme Length Program

Hey everyone! I'm doing this post as I ruminate on some other topics I want to discuss in the upcoming weeks . . . A book review is a good segway into the topics to come :)

I purchased "Lady Godiva Hair: Extreme Length Program" in April, after Khadija over at Sojourner's Passport conducted an interview with Lady Godiva (also known as Joyous Nerd.) I always enjoyed reading Joyous Nerd's comments, and I remember a particular comment that she made several months prior, stating how she was looking to share her tips for growing hair long. My curiosity was piqued, and I waited patiently for her to share her tips. As soon as I read the interview, I knew I had to purchase the book.

I read this book several times, from beginning to end. I enjoyed her conversational tone-it wasn't just a how-to manual; it felt like a heart-to-heart chat with one of my knowledgeable girlfriends. The book addresses black women and their hair from all angles. There are several points that I enjoyed in this book:

-Lady Godiva addresses the fact that good nutrition is the key to hair growth. The author has done extensive research and developed nutritional supplements that encourage good health and better hair growth. You can find her products here. It is clear that she approaches the subject of hair growth in the most logical way: healthy bodies grow healthy hair. She explains how to grow your own food that will support your healthy hair growth (and yes, you can do it, no matter where you live or how much-or little-space you have.)

-The book explains how to effectively care for naturally kinky, coily hair using inexpensive products and good handling techniques. She recommends lots of affordable products to care for hair, as well as the techniques needed to lessen and eliminate damage during your hair care routine. Even though I have read a lot of haircare books, I still learned some new things from Lady Godiva. Do you know the right way to use mineral oil (better known as grease) products? I didn't either, that is, until I read the book.

-The author annihilates all of the myths and negativity associated with BW's hair. Some ladies have been told that some rumors, as far as kinky hair, that Lady Godiva sets straight in her book. Myths, such as 1) only nonblacks (or some mixture of Black and nonblack) can grow long hair, 2) trimming hair makes it grow, or 3)wanting long hair is sinful, are blasted in this book. The author's voice is strong and comforting: she makes the concept of long, natural, kinky hair seem absolutely possible. Her words are the rare sound of encouragement in a world full of naysayers: she not only tells you how to, but reassures you that you, too, can grow and enjoy long hair.


In a few words, I say, buy the book. If you are ever wanted to grow your hair longer, this book can put you on the path to success. Lots of great tips, enjoyable stories, and encouragement can be found in this book. You can check it out here. Also check out the in-depth interview that Khadija conducted with Lady Godiva here.


That's all for now, folks. I'll be back next week (hopefully) with a new post. Take care!

6 comments:

  1. I read this book too and have put it to practice. This book really revealed to me how little we as AAs understand about our hair and that most of what we know or are told is wrong. I recommend this book too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Zabeth-so true! I've been natural for 7 years and I learned so much from this book. I still can't believe how much time I've wasted on certain hair boards that didn't teach me half of what I learned in this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. have you tried her supplements? i'm curious about those

    ReplyDelete
  4. @SocialiteDreams-no, I haven't tried the supplements, but I plan on giving them a whirl, once I finish up the vitamins I'm currently using.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think It is a awesome post. can I get some more information to???

    ReplyDelete
  6. @WorldofHair-the original website for Lady Godiva Hair is now defunct, but check out Lady Godiva's YouTube station (www.youtube.com/ladygodivahair) and see if you may be able to send her a message. Unfortunately, I do not have any other contact information for Lady Godiva. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete